- 1-2 Qts. (1-2 L) Motor Oil
- Turn off the engine and open the hood.
- Locate the oil dipstick. If you are not sure where it is, check your car owner’s manual or ask your mechanic.
- Pull out the dipstick, noting where you pulled it from.
- Wipe the dipstick clean with a rag and look at the indicator at the bottom of the dipstick.
- Push the dipstick back into the hole, making sure to push it back in all the way.
- Pull out the dipstick again and see where the oil has left a residue in relation to the indicators.
- If the oil level on the dipstick reads “low” or “add,” add oil through the oil-filler hole located at the top of the engine. Add 1/4 qt. (250 ml) at a time to avoid overfilling and use a funnel to avoid spilling.
- Recheck the oil level, following steps 3 through 6.
- Check your oil at least once a month.
- Carry 1 or 2 qts. (1 or 2 l) of engine oil in your trunk for emergencies.
- Stop driving and turn off the engine immediately if the oil light on your dashboard comes on.