- Medium sauce pan
- Place the egg in a saucepan.
- Run cold water into the saucepan until the water is 1 inch above the egg.
- Place the saucepan on a stove and cook over medium heat until the water begins to boil.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes for soft-boiled eggs or 10 to 15 minutes for hard-boiled eggs.
- Remove the egg with a spoon or ladle and let it cool slowly, or run cold water over it to cool it more quickly.
- Use hard-boiled eggs to make deviled eggs or egg salad sandwiches.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to the water before boiling and egg shells will not crack when boiled.